Did you know only 38% of Americans own a home security device? According to a survey conducted by safehome.org, the most popular types of home security devices are video cameras and doorbells, followed by a professionally monitored security system. However, home functionality is beginning to change thanks to a new wave of smart home systems, such as Amazon’s Alexa, Google Home, and Nest. While there is generally an upfront and sometimes monthly cost associated with home security systems, some financial benefits also come with them. Here are some of the advantages of arming your home with a security system:
- Protect your home, family, and valuables – The most obvious benefit of a home alarm system is protecting your home from intruders. Many professionals say intruders are less likely to enter your home if an alarm system is present.
- Remote access – With most modern home security systems, you can have remote access to your home through a mobile app. This gives you the ability to check in through the camera while offering other features such as locking doors and windows and turning lights on and off.
- Lower homeowners insurance – While your home security system may come with a monthly fee, it has the potential to lower your homeowners insurance rate.
- Fire and carbon monoxide notifications – Many home security systems provide a notification if your smoke or carbon monoxide alarms are triggered. Some systems also notify authorities when this happens.
- Energy bill management – If your security system allows you to manage your home thermostat and electrical outlets, it could be saving you money on your energy bill. If you need to adjust the heat or turn off an electrical appliance, you can do so remotely. Additionally, many systems allow you to program your thermostat for energy management.